Team Lead - Quality
Powertech Labs Inc, BC Hydro's subsidiary that specializes in energy research, consulting, testing, and systems integration, has been serving power utilities, oil and gas companies, automotive, and electrical utility equipment manufacturers since 1989. We operate as a separate, unregulated, for profit, commercial company. In addition to providing innovative R&D, consulting and testing services to BC Hydro, Powertech provides the majority of its services to a large and diverse array of clients across North America, and around the world. Powertech is located on an 11-acre campus in Surrey, British Columbia and has 200+ employees. Our reach and reputation are global, and we are recognized as a leader in technology, testing, and power systems software. Our location places us close to BC Hydro, 25 kilometers from the US border, and at a gateway between Asian and North American markets. Finally, we are located in one of the most desirable locations on the globe, with all the natural beauty of British Columbia on our doorstep. We call this home.
Powertech’s brand and reputation command a dominant position in the power industry. To better serve our clients, we group our services under six market-orientated sectors: Generation, Transmission and Distribution, Substations, Power Systems, Grid Modernization and Advanced Transportation. Powertech’s competitive advantage is enhanced through close collaboration between all sectors.
The company's staff consists of professional engineers, scientists, technologists and technicians from a wide range of disciplines. These highly skilled individuals have access to 21 well-equipped, specialized laboratories. Together, the resources allow us to offer a range of forward-looking technology services to help clients advance technology, solve complex problems, and maximize asset performance.
Finally, we are customer-focused: To ensure our customers have high confidence in our services, we attract the best resources, are highly responsive and constantly strive to improve the quality and value of our services.
Powertech has an exciting and challenging opportunity for a Team Lead - Quality to join a team of professionals based at Powertech Labs in Surrey B.C.
“Our Quality Policy is to continually improve all products and services to satisfy customer needs and to do so efficiently while meeting or exceeding the requirements of good laboratory practice, sound engineering principles, applicable standards, statutes and regulations. As employees, we are collectively responsible for implementing our policies and procedures.” Quality is the owner of most company processes relating to production of services and products and we are the driver for the company’s continual improvement program. We have been registered to ISO 9001 since 1997 and many of our tests are accredited to ISO 17025. We are also a certified organization in the Engineers and Geoscientists BC's OQM program. The calibration lab also reports to the larger umbrella department of Quality & Calibration.
Under the direction of the Quality Manager, you will be involved in a variety of initiatives to maintain and improve the quality of our service and products. In addition, you will understand the various business processes and improve them for efficacy. You will work with staff both inside and outside of the department to achieve the corporate quality objectives. You will also be expected to manage the operation of the Powertech calibration lab.
- Manage, lead, and support a quality team to implement internal audit programs for ISO 9001, ISO 17025 and related programs
- Work across the company to identify opportunities for improvements in Powertech’s business processes and implement changes
- Manage the scope of accreditations for ISO 17025 and related programs
- Manage the operation of the internal calibration lab
- Assist the Quality Manager in staff selection, training and recommending promotions
- Appraise staff performance and provide input into an employee development program in order to maintain and grow the required expertise
- Engineering degree from a recognized university in electrical, mechanical, chemical, or related discipline
- Registration as a Professional Engineer with the Engineers and Geoscientists BC is required
- Minimum of 10 years of related experience; preference may be given to applicants with greater related experience
- Quality auditing training
- Quality management training
- Project management training
- Proficiency in using quality tools
Technical Skills and Experience
- Experience with quality processes and practices related to testing and services
- Experience in managing ISO 9001, ISO 17025, and related programs required
- Experience managing an ISO 17020 program highly desirable
- Experience managing a calibration lab highly desirable
- Experience in project management required
- Strong technical background that includes at least some of the following knowledge areas: equipment design and manufacturing, product certification, inspection and testing, software quality
- Excellent relationship building skills
- Excellent leadership, team building and project management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills with ability to envision “walking in the customers’ shoes”
- Excellent decision making capabilities
- Excellent detail-oriented, problem solving skills
- Ability to work in a dynamic and collaborative team environment
- Ability to complete tasks independently
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new concepts, principles and solutions
- Ability to optimally adapt to a constrained schedule and perform under pressure
- Demonstrates dependability and commitment to projects/tasks
- Demonstrated rigor in modeling safety behaviours and safety awareness in laboratories and the field
- Focus on consistency and quality in all work activities
- Strong multitasking and organizational skills
Location: Surrey B.C.
Job ID: TLQ2019.8
Job Status: Full-Time Regular
Compensation & Benefits: Powertech Labs Inc. offers a very comprehensive total rewards package based on a healthy work/life balance.
Close Date: February 13, 2019
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
To apply and to obtain more information on Powertech Labs Inc. visit our website at http://www.powertechlabs.com
More search results
Senior Program Manager
Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training
Project Manager: Two-Year Contract Position
Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research
Director, Program and Project Management
Ministry of Education
Director, Project Management Office
Vancouver Airport Authority