Project Manager (Contract)
TRIUMF is Canada's particle accelerator centre, and one of the world's leading laboratories for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business.
At TRIUMF, we’re passionate about accelerating discovery and innovation to improve lives and build a better world. Equity, diversity, and inclusion are integral to excellence and enhance our ability to create knowledge and opportunity for all. Together, we are committed to building an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the voices of our employees, students, partners, and the people and communities we serve.
We seek a project manager on a 2 year contract for facility modernization projects at TRIUMF. Last year we celebrated our 50th anniversary and recently received funding for its 5-year plan (2021-25). TRIUMF is undertaking a major infrastructure renewal initiative including new science platforms and more contemporary facilities.
Our Project Management Office (PMO) is responsible for oversight and governance of all projects at TRIUMF, from conception to completion. The project manager will manage a series of on-site renovations to upgrade office space, renovate older, outdated facilities, refit obsolete laboratories from project inception to the hand-over to the Facilities group.
This is a "hands-on" leadership role in a dynamic environment, requiring the successful candidate to interact daily with TRIUMF stakeholders, suppliers and contractors to devise plans, make key decisions, and solve problems. All relationships are characterized by professionalism, competence and respect.
- Initiate a planning and engagement process with team members and key stakeholders to fully understand project scope
- Collaborate with stakeholders to develop and document requirements and concepts, and have them reviewed and approved
- Hire and supervise the work of contractors doing renovations work, including ensuring that requirements, schedules and budget imperatives are met, and that safety remains paramount
- Develop and maintain project management documents required for successful project completion and that abide by TRIUMF project governance process
- Chair effective project meetings and use minutes, schedules and budgets to ensure team efforts aligned
- Reports progress periodically at review meetings, to project leadership and to TRIUMF management
If you are excited by the prospect of joining our PMO and becoming an integral part of bringing this critical piece of infrastructure to TRIUMF, we encourage you to apply. During an interview you will be asked to elaborate to the hiring committee how your skills, training and experience match the following position requirements:
- Forward thinking with strong problem-solving skills, sound technical and management judgment, attention to detail, and prioritization
- Strong abilities in project planning, including resource estimations and developing appropriate performance indicators
- Demonstrated ability to balance multiple priorities in a dynamic environment to meet the high demands of a complex and high-profile project
- Ability to work effectively in the face of shifting priorities and rapid change
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to build teams and to forge effective working relationships
- A university degree in an applied science or engineering field or the equivalent
- 10 years of project management experience, and demonstrated results leading major projects
Learn more about how the amazing research and work we do at TRIUMF impacts humanity https://www.rarestdrug.com/
Applicants must be legally able to work in Canada for the duration of the contract.
TRIUMF is located on the south campus of the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, BC. We offer a competitive total compensation package, including comprehensive benefits, attractive salary, and an excellent opportunity to enhance your career portfolio in a high profile national research facility.
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Your complete application package should be submitted by Email to email@example.com and will include the following in one complete PDF file:
- Subject line: Competition 712
- Employment Application Form
- Cover letter indicating salary expectations
Applications will be accepted until position filled.