Interim Manager, Capital Projects
- Campbell River School District 72
- Campbell River, BC
- Salary range of $91,125 to $113,907
- Job Category
- Project Management
- Job Type
Campbell River School District 72
Interim Manager, Capital Projects
THE COMMUNITY AND SCHOOL DISTRICT
Campbell River is a scenic, oceanfront community framed by extensive waterfront, west coast forests and snow-capped mountains providing an abundance of recreational opportunities on our doorstep as well as a first class ski resort a short drive away. As the largest employer in the Campbell River area, the school district is known for its commitment to professional development and sense of ‘family’ amongst colleagues.
School District 72 (Campbell River) is actively recruiting for the interim full-time excluded position of Manager, Capital Projects, effective as soon as possible after the posting closes for a one-year term. This position will report to the Director of Operations and is responsible for coordinating and managing a variety of capital, construction, and other projects. This position will liaise with, and provide support or direction to, internal stakeholders, consultants, contractors, and in-house staff (trades) as needed.
The Manager, Capital Projects ensures that projects are completed on time and within budget. This position, working independently, develops and implements the project plan and schedule, ensures safety and quality control, and delegates work to the project team, contractors, and trades people. This position will also be involved in the development of written specifications and handle a variety of formal procurement activities.
The District has an annual operating budget of over 67 million and responsibility for a facilities budget of over 1.2 million. This position offers a rewarding and motivating work environment, as effective operations management supports the achievement of personal excellence for all members of the District’s learning community. SD72’s learning community includes 13 elementary schools, including two in remote locations; two middle schools; two secondary schools; and, an alternate education facility.
RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
- Manage capital projects varying in size and scope including but not limited to building construction and rehabilitation projects, major additions or new builds, roof replacements, and/or major mechanical upgrades.
- Coordinate the efforts of the project team which could include internal SD72 stakeholders, external stakeholders, consultants, sub-consultants, contractors or sub-contractors, internal staff or trades, or parent groups.
- Develops project plans as needed including initial stakeholder review, defined project goals, scope, cost estimates and funding strategies.
- Develops and maintains the construction schedule in conjunction with project team to meet milestones and completion dates.
- Assist in the preparation of formal procurement documents including RFPs or Tenders. May be in consultation with consultants or self prepared.
- Assist with formal procurement processes including answering vendor inquiries, drafting addenda, acting as owners representative at bidders meetings, bid closing, and award.
- Review cost reports and manages construction costs and budgets following proper change order management processes in a timely manner.
- Administer consulting or construction contracts including evaluating proposals, recommending award, verifying deliverables, identifying and recording deficiencies, authorizing progress payments, and overseeing the completion of work.
- Monitor and compile project progress and performance reports detailing impacts to schedule, cost, quality, and risk. Authorize the release of security and holdback at close out of contract.
- Manage and promote communication to project teams and key stakeholders. May draft communication materials for use in public reporting.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with internal clients
- Leads risk management processes, identifying and managing opportunities and risks to achieve the best possible impact on schedule and financial targets
- Other related duties, as required
THE SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT WILL HAVE:
- 5+ years of related work experience in managing building construction projects.
- Experience with, and a firm understanding of, the CCDC contract documents, forms, and guidelines.
- Previous experience as a Project Manager for construction of building trades projects, preferably for an institutional or government agency.
- Completed post-secondary education in project management, construction, engineering, Applied Science Technologist, or related disciplines is considered an asset.
- Comprehensive knowledge of BC Building Code, mechanical and building systems, construction documents, drawings, specifications, current construction practices and methodology.
- Strong knowledge of construction procurement.
- Demonstrated negotiation/management skills.
- Ability to plan and manage to a project schedule.
- Understanding of construction costs and budgets.
- Ability to communicate clearly and collaborate with multiple stakeholders, anticipate stakeholder needs, and proactively identify solutions.
- Capable of identifying constructability issues in moderately complex situations and creating solutions in the construction plan and schedule.
- Ability to motivate, coach and guide other team members.
- Effective organizational and planning skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities.
The following commitments are essential to all positions within Campbell River School District:
- Commitment and adherence to workplace policies, procedures & practices
- Commitment to standards of conduct, including behaving in a manner that is: respectful, professional, team-oriented, collegial, collaborative, ethical, honest and trustworthy
- Commitment to understand and implement the Truth and Reconciliation Calls to Action and the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
REQUIRED LICENSES, CERTIFICATES, AND REGISTRATIONS
- Certification as a Project Management Professional is considered an asset
- Internal relationships will include the CRSD Maintenance Department staff (trades and support staff), Administrators, A/P staff, and Business Department staff.
- External relationships will include consultants and sub-consultants, contractors, PAC’s, project stakeholders, and regulatory agencies.
The Manager, Capital Projects will report to the Director of Operations and will build key relationships with support staff, maintenance department staff, and site administrators.
- Organizational Skills – Position will be coordinating complex construction projects, potentially several at a time with varying project plans, construction milestones, and progress payments
- Flexibility – Position will be working within a complex institutional framework with often changing priorities, procurement or financial constraints, and/or supply chain issues.
- Professional – Position will be representing the best interests and image of SD72 to a variety of internal and external stakeholders, employees, and outside agencies or contractors.
- Problem Solving - Position will be managing high profile District projects with potentially sizable impacts to District operations. The successful candidate must have the ability to problem solve and think outside the box when faced with challenges or impediments.
As a senior position within the Campbell River School District, a competitve salary in the range of $91,125 and $113,907 will be offered based on qualifications and experience; and, a competitive benefit package.
Interested applicants are asked to apply electronically via the Make a Future website at https://bit.ly/3RdkExP; this posting will remain open until filled, with first review of applications starting at 12 p.m. on September 15, 2023. Applications should include a cover letter addressed to:
Director, Human Resources
School District 72 (Campbell River)
425 Pinecrest Road
Campbell River, BC V9W 3P2
More search results
Project Manager, Tenant Projects
QuadReal Property Group
Manager, Maintenance Services (Mechanical/Electri…
Burnaby School District 41
111765 - Project Manager I, Richmond Project Mana…
Vancouver Coastal Health
IT Project Manager
Ledcor Group of Companies