- Sooke School District 62
- Victoria, B.C.
- Job Category
- Project Management
Leadership opportunities with an innovative and growing School District
Adjacent to Victoria on southern Vancouver Island, Sooke School District is the fastest growing school district on Vancouver Island and one of the fastest growing districts in BC. The District operates in five municipalities: Langford, Colwood, Metchosin, Sooke and the Highlands and acknowledges the traditional territories of the Coast Salish: T’Sou-ke Nation and Scia’new Nation and Nuu-chah-nulth: Pacheedaht Nation. We also recognize some of our schools reside on the traditional territory of Esquimalt Nation and Songhees Nation. The District employs over 2,000 educators and support staff and serves over 12,900 students. The District’s Strategic Plan looks ahead to the future and focuses on three priority areas: learning, engagement and growth.
(Full-time position effective immediately)
Reporting to the Secretary-Treasurer, the Director, Facilities is a key member of the District’s Leadership Team and is responsible to accommodate the District’s growth and changing demographics by creating safe and respectful environments that inspire learning. This will be done through short and long-term planning, development, and maintenance of the District’s facilities. This includes major (new builds) and minor (renovations) capital planning, maintenance of facilities and grounds, land acquisition and disposal as well as transportation and custodial services. This position is accountable for ensuring that district facilities meet the Board of Education’s guiding principles for capital construction and maintenance and establishes Department’s goals, objectives and strategies. The Director, Facilities oversees 170 excluded and unionized employees and manages an operations budget excess of $14M plus the District’s capital budgets. The Director works closely with internal partners and external stakeholders to create a strong department culture based on the values of the District. As a Director, Facilities, we are looking for a visionary leader that:
- Cultivates Community
- Uses a Systems Thinking Approach
- Encourages Employee Growth
- Models Leadership
- Provides Strategic Direction
If you possess the above qualities, please submit a cover letter and resume outlining your education and experience in the following areas:
- Professional Designation, Degree, Diploma, or Certificate in Architecture, Engineering, Building Construction Technology or a related field
- Minimum ten years of experience working in the field of building maintenance or construction, managing projects, interpreting plans and specifications, writing reports, estimating costs on maintenance and capital projects and overseeing a complex budget
- Minimum five years of recent and progressive experience in a leadership position that includes the organization wide facilities planning and supervision of staff in a unionized environment
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification, preferred
- Experience in the public and/or education sector an asset
Sooke School District is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace that is free of discrimination and harassment. We believe in a learning and work environment that is welcoming and safe that values, reflects and appreciates differences.
In addition to clearly demonstrating the above, you must also include the names of two references which must include your immediate supervisor as well as one other reference who can speak to your leadership skills. Other references may be contacted with your prior permission.
Please apply online on Make a Future at https://bit.ly/433OLuT by Monday, June 12, 2023, 12:00 noon.
More search results
TalentSphere Staffing Solutions
Senior Project Manager
TalentSphere Staffing Solutions
Project Manager Design and Construction