Director of Facilities
Director of Facilities
Full time, permanent position
Lead a full range of West Vancouver Schools operations in a forward-thinking, innovative and cutting-edge school district. In West Vancouver Schools, we set high expectations for our more than 7,200 students who come from the District of West Vancouver, the Squamish Nation, the Village of Lions Bay and across the water from Bowen Island. We aspire to be the finest education system in the country – for our children, our employees, our community and our world.
This position provides an opportunity for long term, secure employment, leading a dedicated staff of tradespeople that take great pride in maintaining safe and welcoming facilities for the children of our community. West Vancouver Schools is comprised of 19 sites and approximately 50 facilities staff. Our boutique school District is the perfect size as it provides a challenging and dynamic workplace but also enables our leaders to make productive and efficient decisions without multiple levels of management.
The successful applicant will have an excellent working knowledge of both facility management, systems and components (including electrical, mechanical, etc.), effective preventative maintenance programs, and at least five years of experience in Project Management related to construction/building retrofit projects, including some responsibility for design work/preparation of contract specifications, contract procurement, acceptance of project deliverables, monitoring and control of budgets and overseeing project schedules. Recognized Project Management (PMP) certificate is an asset and considered highly desirable for this position.
You will be a strategic thinker, responsible for the planning and feasibility studies of capital projects required to secure capital funding for projects valued in a range of $1m to $3m. You will coordinate the activities of architects and consultants preparing feasibility studies, and actively consult with WVS facilities staff and school administrators for input and feedback. You will exercise considerable judgment in developing adequate project budgets and timelines, with an annual operating budget of approximately $1.8m.
Using your strong, collaborative approach to leadership, you will report to the Chief Financial Officer, and will lead both property/capital project management and preventative maintenance and oversee custodial services. Taking a long-range view, you will be instrumental in executing our annual facilities plan and long- term capital plan, ensuring they are aligned with the goals of the district as a whole. Your challenge is to manage our facilities budgets using an approach that maximizes our available resources, safeguards our assets, and promotes the health and well-being of both our staffs and our students.
As part of a team where individuality and autonomy are expected and encouraged, your drive for excellence is rooted in an entrepreneurial outlook, your ability to share leadership and a creative, inclusive problem-solving approach to your interactions with others. As a leader, you recognize the skills and strengths of your team and colleagues and give them opportunities to excel.
Collaborative communication is of paramount importance in this role. You will bring a warm, curious and respectful approach to all communications. With our varied stakeholders from parents to union executives to district leadership, you will embrace our culture of strong interpersonal relationship building.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Demonstrate exceptional interpersonal, communication and leadership skills in dealing with staff, stakeholders, various officials at all levels and the public within a large, multi-site organization;
• Demonstrated ability to build effective teams and a sense of community and to work effectively in a unionized environment;
• Demonstrated ability to balance multiple, competing demands on resources and time
• Possess a Recognized Project Management certificate OR a Building Technology Degree, OR a diploma or degree in a relevant discipline;
• BC or Interprovincial Journeyman certificate in a relevant trade OR a diploma or degree in a relevant discipline considered an asset;
• Have Grade 12 plus related post-secondary education and training in multi-building trade disciplines;
• Have a minimum of 3 years supervisory experience in a position of similar responsibility; experience in a comparable setting in the Education or Health Care sector considered an asset;
• Demonstrate skills in project management and cost control with proven organizational abilities to plan, estimate, schedule and complete projects on time and on budget;
• Have proven ability to manage a large staff; experience managing unionized staffs considered an asset
• Have proven ability to align facilities operations and plans with the larger strategic goals of the organization;
• Have thorough knowledge of building, fire, municipal and related codes, regulations and requirements;
• Possess computer skills adequate to fulfill the requirements of the position, including updating government asset databases and Ministry of Education & Childcare reports; and
• Valid driver’s license and the ability to qualify and maintain qualification for Board vehicle insurance coverage.
The District offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with qualifications.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit an on-line application through Make a Future at: http://bit.ly/3L2o5oa. Please click the “APPLY” button and submit your application by no later than 1:00 pm Thursday, March 20, 2023. If you have any questions, please contact Samarra Bohonis at firstname.lastname@example.org
Successful applicants not currently employed by West Vancouver Schools are required to sign a “consent for Criminal Record Search” to permit a criminal record review. Only those individuals under consideration will be contacted.