Director Facilities Capital Projects
Director Facilities Capital Projects
Regular Full Time (Exempt)
We acknowledge with gratitude and respect that the City of Coquitlam is located on the shared, traditional and ancestral lands of the kʷikʷəƛ̓əm, sq̓əc̓iy̓aɁɬ təməxʷ, and other Coast Salish Peoples.
One of BC’s Top Employers, the City of Coquitlam is the sixth largest city in BC, home to more than 150,000 residents. Our municipality continues to grow through innovative urban design, inspiring arts, culture and recreation programs, and multi-modal transportation systems. Our brand is built on managing our resources in a responsible and sustainable manner, while supporting a vibrant, growing regional urban centre.
The City of Coquitlam has an opportunity for a qualified candidate to join our senior leadership team as a key member of the Parks Recreation Culture and Facilities department. The Director Facilities Capital Projects is responsible for managing the City’s major capital construction portfolio and offers an exciting opportunity for a candidate possessing in depth knowledge of construction projects. This is an exciting opportunity to participate in the development of the City of Coquitlam, a municipality striving to create innovative facilities to support its growing community. Reporting to this position are two exempt Project Managers and a small team of unionized staff.
As the Director Facilities Capital Projects, you can look forward to working on our upcoming North East Community Centre amongst a number of other exciting and large scale capital projects. With the support of your peers within the department, as well as colleagues across other divisions in the City, you will oversee, lead and manage major parks and recreation facility projects as well as major facilities upgrade related ventures. This will involve liaising with consultants, contractors and others involved in the construction processes as it may relate to development, material selection, and cost negotiations on City owned properties. Additionally, you may liaise frequently with our Finance and Procurement teams as well as our in-house Legal team on various contracts and agreements in respect to City owned properties and capital projects as well as external partnership projects. This position will also play a role in preparing grant applications in order to execute ventures that are of strategic importance to the City. The Director Facilities Capital Projects will oversee large-scale projects to ensure that they are delivered on time and on budget.
The successful incumbent will possess strong interpersonal and negotiation skills, an aptitude for strategic and operational planning, financial acumen, and proven experience preparing and managing multimillion dollar budgets. Additionally, superior written and verbal communication skills with the ability to make public presentations and prepare reports are key elements to this role. The Director Facilities Capital Projects will be called on to prepare and administer the operating and capital budgets for this division, while maintaining responsibility for monitoring expenditures and results. This role will also provide guidance and leadership to a team of direct reports. Excellence in people leadership and the ability to coach and mentor staff to succeed in their own career development goals is a crucial element of this role.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Civil Engineering or related field, as well as 7 to 10 years of experience as a leader, preferably within a municipal or regional government setting. An equivalent combination of technical skills, experience and education may be considered. A Project Management Professional (PMP) credential is beneficial, and registration in an accredited organization such as APEGBC and ASTTBC may also be considered an asset. A valid BC Driver’s License is required.
Other Requirements include:
• Excellent oral and written communication skills necessary to deliver reports and effective presentations before Council and executive level staff.
• Excellent interpersonal skills to serve as a focal point between multiple parties at the Council and executive level; and to provide strategic advice, counsel and guidance on critical issues that have community impacts.
• The ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with internal stakeholders, members of the community, and other external stakeholders.
• Exceptional leadership abilities with a collaborative approach towards building relationships and a culture of respect and accountability, complemented with a successful history and in depth knowledge of best practices in managing similar operations.
• Excellent negotiation and conflict resolution skills with the ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with internal clients, members of the community, and other external agencies.
• Ability to adapt to a continually evolving environment centered around a team-focused, fast-paced workplace environment.
• Expert knowledge of capital construction project trends and market conditions
• Track record of success in promoting and maintaining a work environment which fosters and rewards teamwork, initiative, accountability, diversity and innovation
• Strong financial management skills (including knowledge of budgeting and accounting practices) with the ability to manage operational budgets and expenditures for the division.
• Experience leading and directing staff on departmental strategies and business plan objectives.
• An understanding of the strategic direction of the City.
The City offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package. Applicants under consideration will be required to undergo a police security clearance evaluation. This position is based in Coquitlam with some flexible, remote work options available. The City has a vaccination policy that is currently suspended. However, should the policy be reinstated, it will be a requirement for all current and future employees.
Please apply online at www.coquitlam.ca/careers by 11:55 pm on February 5, 2023.
Good people make Coquitlam great, sign up for career alerts through our recruitment portal to stay up to date about opportunities within our team, or follow us on LinkedIn to learn more about how #YouCouldWorkHere too!
The City of Coquitlam is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.