Position Project Manager, Facilities Management
Department Campus Planning & Facilities Management
Status Staff, 100% full-time, Temporary
Start Date As soon as possible after closing date
Contract One-year term
Salary Scale $4,938.54 - $5,805.43 per month (Staff pay group 10)
Closing Date May 13, 2019
The University of the Fraser Valley (UFV) is nationally recognized for its emphasis on teaching excellence, experiential and applied education, community engagement, and Indigenization. UFV is the school of choice for over 15,000 students. With six campuses and centres, UFV offers undergraduate and graduate programs in the arts, sciences, and professional studies, as well as trades and technology education, university preparation, and continuing education.
At UFV, we are dedicated to changing lives and building community. Our educational goals are to prioritize learning everywhere; be flexible and responsive; collaborate across boundaries; develop local and global citizenship; and integrate experiential learning. A British Columbia “Top Employer”, we are committed to providing a welcoming, inclusive and dynamic learning and working environment that is fair and respectful of everyone. Our culturally diverse employee and student populations reflect the local, national, international and Indigenous communities we serve. If you see yourself as a lifelong member of a community that values and nurtures innovation and creativity, cultivates leadership and citizenship, and where success builds on success, you belong at UFV.
The Project Manager, Facilities Management assists the Associate Director with program and project planning, scheduling, organizing and controlling delivery activities, and ongoing governance and reporting activities. The position will also support the day to day activities related to the planning, designing, and implementation of construction projects.
- Manages small to medium size projects in terms of goals, budget, schedule, and quality; authorizes expenditures and payments within the budget.
- Ensures project deliverables are on time, within budget, and sustainability conform with the BC Building Code and UFV design guidelines.
- Provides extensive risk register and mitigation strategies.
- Guides and directs project team efforts to meet the goals of a project; meets with design, engineering, construction, regulatory authorities, and all other consultants as contracted by UFV.
- Plans, organizes, directs, and monitors project management functions.
- Contributes to the evaluation of bids (including but not limited to RFP, RFT, RF-PREQ, and EOI’s) for recommendation to UFV (with input from consultants when required).
- Familiarity with purchasing policies, plans for lead times for procurement of goods and services, and coordinates timing and delivery.
- Prepares and submits monthly budget estimates, progress and cost tracking reports, and administers payments while working with user groups to establish project scope and feasibility.
- Assists with the establishment of project budgets; closely monitors the projects, reporting any concerns to UFV.
- Responsible for the timely exchange of information, including the preparation and processing of construction documents.
- Consults with supervisory personnel, owners, contractors, and design professionals to discuss and resolve matters such as work procedures, complaints, and construction problems.
- Liaises with municipalities and other regulatory authorities to ensure university assets remain within code and adhere to the highest standards for post-secondary institutions.
- Ensures safety protocols, manuals, and site-safety are signed and maintained.
- Ensures formal project closure and sign-off and prompt notification to UFV of any default or defect or non-compliance issues, together with a recommendation for action to be taken.
- During the construction phase the Project Manager is responsible for monitoring budgets and schedules; coordinating architectural design, engineering, and regulatory authorities; coordinating team efforts; and supervising the work of contracted consultants (architects, major sub trades, general contractors, cost consultants, etc.) to a project.
- Directs external consultants and contractors and, when required, Facilities Management department staff during assigned projects, ensuring work is performed safely and to specifications.
Communications & Reporting
- Prepares and submits project reports and recommendations to senior management, committees, and working groups on a regular basis.
- Provides project management liaison to building occupants, responding to and resolving current and potential project related problems, complaints, and inquiries from employees and students.
- Gathers, analyzes, and organizes data; defines problems and requirements, and recommends solutions.
- Collaborates with key stakeholders and maintains a student and customer focus.
- Participates in the planning of building, remodeling, and maintenance projects.
- Must be available for evening and/or weekend work to fulfil the needs, duties, and responsibilities of the role.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline from a recognized post-secondary institution. Project management certification is considered an asset. Remains current in professional organizations by attending relevant PD activities and project management related courses.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience in project management including one (1) year construction management experience.
- Project management experience working on several projects simultaneously and a solid understanding of project management principles.
- Knowledge of project management methodology.
- Excellent communication skills, including oral, written, and presentation.
- Knowledge of standard organizational practices.
- Ability to create schematic drawings based on user input.
- Detail oriented, ability to multi-task and adapt to changing priorities.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Project or similar project management tools (i.e. Smartsheet).
- Industry specific experience.
- Ability to build and maintain productive working relationships.
- Excellent conflict resolution and negotiation skills an asset.
How to apply
Direct resume including evidence of appropriate qualifications by May 13, 2019, referring to Posting #2019.101 to:
Shortlisted applicants may be required to undergo a criminal record check. Shortlisted applicants will be required to provide copies of their most recent evaluation summary.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. In an effort to be both environmentally and fiscally responsible, UFV will contact only candidates receiving an interview. We thank all applicants for considering UFV for employment.
UFV is committed to the principle of equity in employment.