Senior Manager – Maintenance and Construction
The Vancouver School District is an exciting, progressive, and dynamic school district, offering a wide range of educational opportunities for more than 48,000 learners from kindergarten to adults. Vancouver schools have an excellent reputation as being diverse and inclusive, and for providing outstanding, student-centered, choice programs. Our diverse school district employs almost 9,000 employees which are represented by 14 bargaining units as well as exempt management staff. The District has over 110 educational sites, and a $640 million operating budget with major capital projects underway.
We are currently seeking a Senior Manager of Maintenance and Construction. Reporting to the Director of Facilities, the Senior Manager of Maintenance and Construction is responsible for maintaining over $1.6 billion of capital assets comprising of over 250 buildings, eight million square feet (743,000 square metres) of building space and over 800 acres (324 Hectares) of school grounds.
The position provides effective leadership and direction and growth opportunities to managers and supervisors that oversee a diverse group of skilled trades and grounds staff. These groups provide in-house major maintenance, construction renovations, energy saving initiatives, grounds improvements, and emergency work as required.
The position is responsible for:
- Overall Management of a department of over 150 trades, over 80 grounds crew, and other personnel, comprised of several trades groups, administration staff, outdoor crews, and exempt supervisory staff.
- Leading the planning, estimation, and completion of maintenance and capital renewal projects for change of use, renovations, or altering existing space to allow required or desired school programs to operate.
- Collaborating with other departments for major infrastructure projects including seismic mitigation or school replacement projects including setting building standards and reviewing documentation prior to tender.
- Monitoring and implementing safety programs in collaboration with the District’s health and safety team.
- Evolving the department’s project delivery and management processes.
- Leading and growing the department’s leadership capabilities.
- Evolving the department’s skills as the District faces new challenges in facility operation, climate change mitigation and adaptation, accessibility, and customer service.
Your experience working in a multi-union environment along with your strong communication skills will assist you in providing effective leadership and direction to managers and supervisors. You are a highly collaborative individual who works effectively with administrators and senior management regarding high priority projects. You can identify, evaluate and resolve emergency maintenance issues while setting priorities for planned and unplanned maintenance and capital replacement work.
The successful candidate should have an Engineering Degree with professional registration, or equivalent education with 10+ years of experience. A successful track record with 10+ years as a Facilities manager in a complex, multi-union, K-12 Public Sector environment is an asset.
Please see the job description for a detailed list of duties and responsibilities.
The District welcomes qualified applicants who value equity and diversity as essential to excellence. The district makeup of the VSB strives to support all voices and fosters a community where all members feel a sense of belonging, security, and acceptance. The VSB community is for everyone, and you may wish to share some lived experiences that demonstrate your connections to our diverse student community.
To be considered for this position, please apply via https://bit.ly/3zf0kTv.
The closing date for this competition is MONDAY, August 15, 2022 at 5:00 p.m.
MAKE A FUTURE APPLICATION PROCESS
- If you do not have a profile, create one and apply to this position under Management and Professionals posting.
- Once you have created your profile, and logged in, search for this ad then click on "Apply now"
- Answer all job posting question and upload all supporting documents, a cover letter and a resume
- You will receive an email confirming your application