Acting Manager of Facilities
- Okanagan Skaha School District 67
- Job Category
- Project Management
Are you interested in being part of a district that is committed to collaboration, mentorship and creating innovative learning experiences? School District No. 67 is embracing the evolving changes in education and looking for motivated employees who are actively seeking dynamic professional opportunities and passionate about making a difference in the lives of students. Combining the natural beauty and amazing outdoor recreation opportunities associated with the Okanagan lifestyle with an exciting and fulfilling work environment is ideal for those pursuing a healthy balance both professionally and personally.
The Board of Education invites applications for the position of Acting Manager of Facilities for Okanagan Skaha School District. Duties will commence October 1, 2021, or a mutually agreeable date and will be a temporary appointment until December 31, 2021 with the option to renew as a permanent position if mutually agreed upon by both parties.
The position will be of interest to an individual with extensive experience in building and grounds maintenance, and new construction. Proven leadership, interpersonal and management skills are necessary qualifications for this position.
Our ideal candidate:
- Is responsible for the efficient implementation and management of maintenance programs and services.
- Coordinates and oversees the activities of a variety of resources including unionized staff, contractors, and consultants.
- Assists with facilitating the implementation of major and minor capital projects
- Plans, organizes, supervises, and determines the logistics of human resources, equipment, materials and outside contractors for maintenance programs and services.
- Ensures projects and services are completed to school district standards.
- Ensures compliance with a variety of regulations including Worksafe BC and building codes.
- Establishes safety and training requirements for maintenance and grounds staff.
- Participates in the establishment and control of the department’s operating and annual facilities grant budgets, cost accounting and forecasts.
- Has vision to develop the department’s strategic and operations plans.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with district administrators, district staff, consultants, and others on matters relating to building maintenance, alterations, functional improvements, repayable work requests, and site upgrades.
- Works closely with management team members and shares responsibility for several HR administrative processes including new hire administration, health and safety and labour relations.
The successful applicant will possess the following:
- Diploma in Building Technology or other relevant degree or diploma related to facility or project management from an accredited institution, or relevant trades qualification supported by proven experience and additional formal training that supports the key elements of the position.
- A minimum of five years’ experience in facilities or project management including the direction of trades with a minimum of three years in an administrative/leadership role.
- Familiarity with contract tendering and management.
- Budget planning and control.
- Extensive knowledge of the principles of facility management.
- Demonstrated ability to support the strategic planning function of the organization
- Thorough knowledge of building systems, security systems and programs, HVAC control strategy, fire protection systems and programs and logistical and ancillary services and systems.
- Thorough knowledge of construction and maintenance trades, Provincial Building Code and municipal codes and bylaws.
- Demonstrated ability to organize the work of a department; plan, schedule, direct and evaluate the work of employees; direct and guide external consultants and contractors.
- Demonstrated ability to work within a Collective Agreement in a unionized public sector environment.
- Strong analytical skills and report writing capabilities.
- Demonstrated ability in the use of computer software and technology.
- Well-developed conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, interpersonal skills and presentation skills.
- A valid BC driver’s license, a District vehicle will be provided.
The School District
School District No. 67 (Okanagan Skaha), representing the communities of Penticton, Summerland, Kaleden, and Naramata, serves the educational needs of approximately 5800 students through 11 elementary, 3 middle, 3 secondary schools and 1 distributed learning school.
Our school district has a proud history of excellent student achievement across a wide range of accomplishment areas: Academics, fine arts, athletics, career programs, French Immersion, and applied skills with a focus on meeting the individual needs of all learners.
The communities are nestled on the sides of Skaha and Okanagan Lakes in the heart of wine and fresh fruit country. Apex Mountain Ski Resort, named nationally and North America-wide as one of the finest small destination ski areas, is an easy 45-minute drive from Penticton. The combination of good working conditions, strong community support for schooling, and excellent recreational amenities makes the area a highly desirable home.
Must include a complete resume, including supporting documentation and a minimum of three (3) current references, with permission for the search committee to contact references and previous employers.
For further information about this exciting career opportunity, please contact Nicole Bittante, Secretary-Treasurer, 250 770 7700 ext. 6716.
Deadline for applications: 2:00 pm (PST), Thursday, September 16, 2021
Address applications to: Jason Corday, Assistant Superintendent/HR
School District 67 (Okanagan Skaha)
425 Jermyn Avenue, Penticton, BC, V2A 1Z4
District Website: www.sd67.bc.ca
Or on Make a Future at https://bit.ly/3yH2iZq.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.