Senior Project Manager - Engineering Strategy and Standards
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The position reports to the Branch Manager, Engineering Strategy and Standards, Senior Project Manager (SPM) is responsible for managing large and complex business, strategy and service delivery projects within the City of Vancouver. The SPM manages a variety of projects that results in changes to internal operations or how Engineering Services delivers service to the public and customers, while ensuring high-quality results within budget and on time. They often involve significant financial investment by the City, risks to manage, and a range of team members and stakeholders. The SPM is privy to sensitive information that often has significant operational and financial implications.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Manages complex, strategic projects through full cycle from project initiation through to project closeout.
- Provides direction on and oversees early scoping of projects to develop scope, budget, schedule, risks and quality standards, using standard project management methodologies and approaches.
- Develops a project charter and project plan; maintains appropriate project documentation over the life of the project, (ie. risk register, issues log, decision/action logs, etc.)
- Actively manages a cross-departmental project team; ensures all involved are aware of their respective responsibilities and are delivering high-quality work according to established schedules and budgets; facilitates conversations to make sure all involved in a given project or work component are appropriately aligned.
- Manages external consultants when they are engaged to support a project, including leading the selection and engagement of consultants, ensuring the appropriate consultant is selected for the work at hand, working closely with that consultant to ensure work is on time, on budget and sufficiently high-quality, making recommendations to extend or terminate a contract
- Provides project status reports and make recommendations on items such as scope change or mitigation strategies to Steering Committee and Project Sponsor(s)
- Provides business advisory input into project elements, such as the development of business plans, options analysis, strategy recommendations, policy development, business model and/or service delivery design.
- Executives projects according to approved project plan; ensures project team meets expected timelines, scope, budget, risk mitigation and quality/performance standards, which includes:
- Organizes and leads meeting with project team, stakeholders and consultants; manages actions arising from these meetings
- Facilitates stakeholder discussions to arrive at optimum solutions, strategies and/or action plans
- Identifies and proactively manages project issues, risks and costs
- Regularly reports on progress against project plan and on specific deliverables to senior management
- Ensures proper project closeout at completion, including post-project evaluation, recommended changes for future similar projects, and appropriate documentation.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors' degree in Business Administration, Engineering, or equivalent.
- Formal training and experience in project management is considered an asset.
- Experience in asset management and financial planning is considered an asset
- A minimum of eight years’ business advisory and/or project management experience, preferably within a similarly-sized organization and/or a consulting firm, involving complex and multi-faceted business, operations and/or service delivery projects at an intermediate or senior level, with experience working directly with and/or reporting to senior management in a large organisation.
- Experience managing complex multi stakeholder teams.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of civil engineering works (design and construction integration)
- Extensive knowledge of project management methodologies, practices, processes and policies and their application
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a cross-functional team environment.
- Excellent oral, written and presentation and facilitation skills, with the ability to communicate at all levels across the organization
- Excellent at developing and maintaining strong working relationships with technical, professional and operational staff, as well as with senior management.
- Effective project management skills; capable of multi-tasking and moving a number of different agendas to successful conclusion
- Detail-Oriented, organized and methodical
- Proven ability to innovate, lead and implement change in the workplace
- Strong strategic, analytical and problem solving skills; ability to facilitate the resolution of complex issues
- Strong leadership qualities, with the ability to align and unify a diverse set of individuals to a singular objective, to motivate peers and superiors using indirect influencing skills, and to help reconcile diverging perspectives and resolve interpersonal difficulties among peers.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment under pressure; demonstrate flexibility, collaboration and ability to shift priorities rapidly
- Ability to handle confidential and/or sensitive financial, operational, and Human Resources information
- Ability to manage, coach and motivate staff.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees across the organization and a variety of contacts to provide advice, information and assistance
- A high level of proficiency with PC applications including MS Office, Outlook and record and document management software applications
- Ability to motivate and inspire others with regards to the importance of project management procedures, guidance and tools and a continuous improvement environment
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: October, 2021
Application Close: September 17, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.