Who We Are
At BCIT, we champion diversity of experiences, ideas, cultures and perspectives, to foster a community in which equality and inclusivity are embedded in everything we do. We embrace endless innovation, ignited by imagination and creativity, to improve our approaches, opportunities and outcomes. We strive to achieve excellence in everything we do, to accomplish real, measurable results. We believe in the power of collaboration to amplify our efforts and begin every interaction with a foundation of respect for others’ expertise, insights and inherent worth. Our overall vision is to empower people, share BC, and inspire global progress. If this resonates with you, come join our team as we continue to provide practical education for a complex world.
BCIT’s Information Technology Services is seeking a full-time, temporary Portfolio Manager to mature our project portfolio management practice. This includes developing, implementing and managing:
- a clear and consistent approach to communicating the progress of the project portfolio
- an effective intake and prioritization framework for ITS, including alignment of processes
- a resource management framework to improve how ITS estimates and allocates resources
- a standard project and portfolio management toolset
The Portfolio Manager will also be integral to the development and maintenance of the Institute’s three-year technology investment roadmap and annual ITS Operating Plan. They will provide extensive support to BCIT’s governance bodies and project initiation efforts.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leads the development, implementation and sustainment of an integrated approach to identifying, prioritizing, resourcing and reporting on technology projects and related business improvement activities. Leads the project intake and prioritization process in collaboration with key stakeholders across ITS, including the management team.
- Supports the development and maintenance of the three-year technology investment roadmap and annual ITS Operating Plan. Develops business cases for annual and multi-year project funding. Supports the financial budgeting, forecasting and reporting associated with approved project business cases.
- Creates a standard approach to executive reporting, including dashboard templates, to support communication of portfolio progress, resource consumption, and risks and issues. Develops and maintains a project portfolio report to assess and communicate progress.
- Develops and maintains a resource management framework for ITS, including providing leadership and direction to the ITS management team to identify and forecast project resource requirements, and appropriately allocate resources.
- Acts as the product owner for ITS project and portfolio management system(s). Develops and enforces standards, initiates process and system improvements, and advises and guides others in how to optimize their use of the project and portfolio management toolset.
- Provides input to senior leadership on project prioritization, sequencing, resource allocation and risk mitigation relative to business improvement activities. Presents strategic progress reports to senior leadership (both within ITS and via Institute technology governance bodies) on a regular basis, inclusive of recommendations to mitigate risk and ensure project and portfolio alignment.
- Initiates, validates and participates in the design and implementation of guidelines, policies, good business practices and other IT management processes to provide improved operational efficiencies and accountability to the Institute and the department.
- Undertakes special or ad hoc projects as requested by the Director, Enterprise Planning.
- Bachelor’s degree and relevant, industry certification in the areas of business analysis, project management, and/or business improvement.
- Ten years current experience in the appropriate and effective application of project and portfolio management, business analysis and process improvement methodologies, including supervisory responsibilities.
- A combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Demonstrated experience in the development of business cases and project management documentation.
- Experience in developing project plans, managing small and large projects, evaluate and report on outcomes.
- Demonstrated proficiency in collaboration and facilitation skills in cross-functional teams responsible for development and execution of innovative business solutions.
- Exceptional oral, written and presentation communication skills are required.
- Must have financial acumen and the ability to develop and manage operating budgets.
- Proven ability to build, lead and participate within a team.
- Skilled in working effectively with a wide variety of community stakeholders, vendors, and government agencies.
- Proven problem-solving and decision making skills.
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT BCIT:
- Being a part of BC’s Top 100 Employers, and a member of the CCDI.
- A generous Total Compensation package which includes extended health and dental benefits and a superb pension plan.
- Access to Professional Development Funds and opportunities for career development.
- Increase your knowledge with Tuition waivers for BCIT courses.
- Enjoy subsidized parking and discounted access to our fitness facilities (including classes like Yoga and Zumba).
- Additional Wellness and Employee Assistance programs.
Posting CategoryManagementSchool/Service AreaInformation Technology ServicesCampus LocationBurnaby campusBargaining UnitManagementJob StatusTemporaryFull-Time/Part-TimeFull-TimeNumber of Vacancies1.0Anticipated Start Date05/31/2021Anticipated End Date05/27/2022
Competition Number21M504Competition Open Date04/17/2021Competition Close Date05/08/2021Open Until Filled?NoQuicklink for Postinghttps://careers.bcit.ca/postings/3869
More search results
Senior Director, Infrastructure & Capital Projects
PFM Executive Search / Panorama Search Partners
Project Manager, PMO
Senior Project Manager - Customer Network Impleme…